Hold an Event

Special Events

Any planned extraordinary occurrence on the public right-of-way or public premises, including but not limited to parades, processions, bicycle or foot races, and festivals.


No person may hold a special event on the public right-of-way or public premises (including parks) without obtaining a special event permit. If required by the state, a copy of the applicant's current Wisconsin Seller's Permit shall be provided.

Special Event Application

Mapped routes

All permit applications for special events featuring foot or bicycle races, runs, rides or parades shall include a detailed map of the proposed route for approval by the Police Department and the Department of Public Works. Routes for annual special events must be submitted with the application regardless of the historical precedent. Proposed routes may be altered at the discretion of the Police Department and the Department of Public Works. In the event the organizers or sponsors of any special event deviate from the route submitted without the approval of the City, the organizers or sponsors of such special event shall be denied a permit for any special event for the following calendar year.

Serving alcohol at event

An application for a Temporary Class “B”/”Class B” Retailer’s License must be submitted and approved to serve alcohol.

Temporary Class “B”/”Class B” Retailer’s License Application

Approval by Council members

After approval by the City Staff, applications for special event permits shall be submitted to the Common Council for approval.


After the application has been approved by City Staff and the Common Council, the applicant for a special event permit shall pay a fee based on a rate as set by the Common Council per man-hour for City services as determined in the application review and approval process. No special event permit requiring a fee is valid until the fee has been paid. The Public Works Director may establish fees for provision of additional City services not set forth herein. Permit fee payments may be refunded if notification of cancellation of a permitted special event is received by the City Clerk at least 10 working days prior to the special event.


Each applicant for an event requiring City services shall furnish with the application fee submitted to the City Clerk a certificate of insurance showing insurance written by a company licensed in the State of Wisconsin, approved by the City and covering any and all liability or obligations which may result from the operations by the applicant's employees, agents, contractors or subcontractors, and including workers' compensation coverage in accordance with Ch. 102, Wis. Stats. The certificate shall provide that the company will furnish the City with a ten-day written notice of cancellation, non-renewal or material change. The insurance shall be written in comprehensive form and shall protect the applicant and City against all claims arising from injuries to members of the public or damage to property of others arising out of any act or omission of the applicant, its employees, agents, contractors or subcontractors.

The policy of insurance shall provide minimum combined single limits for bodily injury and property damage of $1,000,000 or such other insurance as deemed adequate by the City Attorney.