Maryland Avenue Reconstruction Project
This web page is designed to help provide information on the City of Burlington’s Maryland Ave Reconstruction Project. Information about project tasks and progress shall be shared weekly with the goal of informing property owners and users of public facilities within the project bounds. Should you have any specific questions about your property or construction activities please contact Luke Podella, Staff Engineer with Kapur & Associates, at 262-758-6017 or the City of Burlington Department of Public Works at 262-342-1181.
The City of Burlington began reconstruction of Maryland Avenue on June 1, 2021. This project has substantial completion date of October 15, 2021 and a final completion date of November 15, 2021. This project includes complete reconstruction of Maryland Ave from Congress St to Milwaukee Ave, including new curbs, gutter, and road. Paving of Congress St from Maryland Ave to the dead end cul du sac will also be part of the project. In addition to road improvements, the project will replace the water main, sanitary sewer, and storm sewer infrastructure in Maryland Ave. The project also includes several new pedestrian transportation improvements such as: new sidewalks, on-street painted bike “sharrows”, and a new paved bike trail connection from Maryland Ave to Milwaukee Ave. The gravel semi-truck parking lot will be removed and restored to green space and the corridor will be reforested with several parkway trees.
WE Energies Gas and Electric Upgrade Project
WE Energies will be performing gas line and electric line work in Maryland Ave at the same time as the City performs reconstruction. This timing helps minimize the need for WE Energies to disturb the newly constructed roadway. The work performed by WE Energies is separate from the City’s work and is not performed by the City’s contractor, Wanasek, although there will be close coordination between the two projects.
Project Progress (updated 6/7/2021)
As with all construction projects, schedules are subject to change pending weather and other unforeseen impacts. This information is intended to be as accurate as possible but may change from time-to-time. This information will be updated regularly throughout the project and as conditions change.
- Planned Work for This Week (6/7/2021)
- Continuation of water main relay work
- Move existing hydrant at station 22+60 and replace hydrant at station 26+75
- Water shut down will be required for this work and notices will be handed out, tentatively Wednesday, 6/9/2021
- Begin sanitary sewer work at Congress Street while watermain is waiting for safe sample & pressure test results
- Anticipated Work for Next Week (6/14/2021)
- Safe sample results obtained
- Begin water service replacements from main to curb stop
- Expect water service outages during each service replacement
- Water service entire week
- Completed Work
- Watermain connection at Congress Street